Παρασκευή 10 Δεκεμβρίου 2010

My body in Athens, my mind still in Rome


 And now I’m back in Athens. At a warm environment full of love. Antonis picked me up from the airport. I was so glad to see him! And I cried when I saw Freeda…

…but I haven’t stopped thinking about Rome. So let’s see what I did on my third day in Rome! First I wanted to see Santa Maria sopra Minerva. It was just around the corner from the Pantheon, but I missed it the previous day. What was interesting about this church is Bernini’s little elephant in front of it. It’s a bit dirty, but it’s still cute! And a Michelangelo sculpture of Christ inside… Michelangelo and Bernini. The two superstars of Rome.

After walking around a bit and enjoying the sun, I decided to go up at St Peter’s Basilica.  I was sure the view from up there would be great... So, here I am, standing in the queue one more time... waiting and waiting... until finally I can go up. 550 stairs without the lift. 350 with the lift. I went with the second option. So up we go, me and everyone else. Higher and higher to a dizzying small staircase. There was a stop just under the basilica, inside the church. I could see all these little people walking around the church underneath me. Christian extravaganza!

Even higher was the cuppola. A small balcony on top of St Peter's. It took me a while to get used to the hight and to get rid of this scary feeling that the handrail will fall and we will fall with it. I am very good at making destruction visions in my head... Anyway, I sent these bad thoughts away and started enjoying myself... Now that I go back thiinking about it, it was terribly high! But it was an amazing experience! 

Even the descending was dizzying!

 Anyway, I was thinking of going to the Vatican galleries too, to see Michelangelo's famous Sistine Chapel, but I was too hungry! So walking I discovered a tiny little trattoria where Romans where eating. It did not have a sign and it was definately not touristic. And it was full of locals. That's where you want to go for a real taste of Rome! And my nose did not fool me. Pasta carbonara (with eggs and not cream, like the Italians make it) and two HUGE meatballs that I did not manage to eat because I was so full!
My next stop was again piazza Navona where I sat down and digested my perfect lunch. And started looking at the crowds. During Christmas there is a street market full of Befana dolls. Befana is the lady who brings gifts to Italian kids on New Years or later I can't remeber, and she looks like a witch! I must have spent at least two hours walking around and sitting around...

I was told I sould avoid the famous Fontana di Trevi because it's too crowded with people. But I still went because there was nothing else I could think about doing. And it was full of tourists. Still, it was a big, beautiful fountain.

The next day I walked and walked and the highlight was Bernini's sculpture of St Teresa. I wanted to see this sculpture up close because I almost did a Phd on the eroticism of the Renaissance. She really looks like she's having an orgasm! It was really a highlight!

And now I'm back after a difficult night of sleeping at the airport for my 7 o clock flight...

And I'm very content. Two days now I make pizza's for my beloved man and walking my beloved dog! It's so good to be home!

1 σχόλιο:

  1. Καλώς ήρθες πίσω .Αν και περιμένω με αγωνία την συνέχεια του ταξιδιού...
    (το κείμενο για την Ρώμη ενδιαφέρον .Καθόλου τουριστικό)

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή