Σάββατο 10 Σεπτεμβρίου 2011

On snails and other aphrodisiacs

Sifnos was home to a cook named Tselementes. He is quite famous and he even wrote a book on cooking. What I remember being hilarious in his book, is that in the preface he writes things like how a good wife should be, how she must prepare the family table, how she must be always ready for visitors etc. Which means things I don't ever do in my kitchen, and I don't think anybody does nowadays...

Anyway that was not why I started talking about Tselemendes. I started because yesterday, we went to a food festival in his memory. We tried some of the divine foods they make here in the Cyclades, not only in Sifnos, but all the islands. Xinomitzithra from Kimolos, a light, soft, spreadable cheese. Petroti from Tinos, a very hard cheese, thus the name (petra means rock). Every island has it's own cheese and I don't even remember their names...

And then I tried snails for the first time in my life! They make them in many places in Greece, but this time it was made by the guys of Kythnos. All they said was "suck it hard"! Ha ha ha ha! You suck until the -cooked- snail comes out of it's shell and to my taste it was not as discusting as I'd expect it to be! In fact, it was delicious and very aphrodisiac I must say... I think it was all the sucking... ha ha ha!

Last but not least the infamous chick peas of Sifnos, boiled for 8 hours with onions in a special ceramic pot, in a wooden oven... Simply heaven. Before we left the feast we were so full! These guys are very good cooks...

In the meantime, the weather is wonderful and very hot.

Poulati
Another day we visited Poulati, a rocky site where we almost drowned trying to swim between the rocks, it was very windy and dangerous. Fortunately we did not drown and we continued to the sandy beach of Fasolou and had a coffee at Faros...

It's funny, I've been here three months and I only just started discovering the beaches I only heard about... I think I am blessed to be able to swim in the sea at this time of the year...

And thanks to all of you who commented on my last post, you inspire me to continue writing and travelling!

2 σχόλια:

  1. εμείς είχαμε δοκιμάσει σαλιγγάρια στην κρήτη!!! τα είχαν ψητά! τέλεια!!!!
    θέλω κι εγώ μπάνιο τέτοια εποχή αλλά έχουν βγει οι σαλούφες!!! φιλάκια και have fun!!!

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή